Thursday, December 30, 2004

Tsunami Tragedy

It seems the true scale of such a disaster is now unfolding. Families torn apart, children gone forever, subsistence fishermens means of supporting themselves gone. Millions of peoples lives have been affected. It is ok for the tourists, they can leave. But for the people left behind they have to rebuild from the beginning....

It takes a disaster of such scale for the world to co-operate and being generous with relief programs. THis shows true human spirit and character. However why do people have to wait until a thing such as this has to happen. I guess in general we are short sighted, selfish and รก jolt to the compassionate places in our hearts needs to take place for us to be somnewhat compassionate.

Some images stay with you, seeing the expression of pure grief on a man's face as he held his dead baby in his arms and crying...I will not forget this image for a long time...

I can count myself lucky to have escape such, terror, tragedy in my short existance being raised in somewhat lucky Australia, educated and now living and working as a proffessional in Germany as part of the global village. I don't think I could ever imagine the hurt and pain that someone who has been effected goes through because I have never experienced this myself. I think that people in this new world should always think about others and place themselves in the other persons shoes and have some kind of empathy if anything is going to improve. Yet agian history repeats due to greed stubborness and envy...have we as a developed human race really come anywhere or is it just a helpless cycle?

I hurt for those people who are confused, worried, shocked and devistated right now, I wish I could be there to hug them and comfort them.

Floorwalker

No comments: